Scientific Field: Environmental Protection and Reclamation in Mining and Quarrying
School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9 str. GR15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Office 2.28, 2nd Floor
+30 210 772-2211
Dr. Dimitris Kaliampakos is a Professor at the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens and Director of the Laboratory of Mining and Environmental Technology. He is the Dean of the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering and the Director of the Metsovion Interdisciplinary Research Center, whose main scope is the protection and integrated development of the mountain environment and local European cultures. He is also President of the International Association of Associated Research Centers for the Urban Underground Space (ACUUS) and Vice President of the Board of Lavrion Technological and Cultural Park.
His research interests include the relationship between mining activity-society-environment, the development of special underground projects in urban areas, topics related to the development and environment of mountainous areas, as well as topics of environmental economics, energy poverty, etc. He has been the Scientific Responsible in more than 60 research projects awarded from public, private and European bodies. He has published over 180 scientific papers in international journals and conferences and has co-authored 4 books. He teaches undergraduate courses at the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering and in four Postgraduate Programs of NTUA.
- Damigos, D. and Kaliampakos, D. (2006). “The ‘‘battle of gold’’ under the light of green economics: a case study from Greece”, Environmental Geology, Vol. 50, Nο 2, pp. 202–218.
- Giannakopoulou, S., Damigos, D. and Kaliampakos, D. (2011). “Assessing the Economic Value of Vernacular Architecture of Mountain Regions Using Contingent Valuation”, Journal of Mountain Science, 8(5), pp. 629 – 640.
- Kaliampakos, D., Benardos, A., Mavrikos, A., Panagiotopoulos, G. (2015). “The Underground Altas Project”, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2015.03.009
- Kaliampakos, D. (2015). "Underground development: a springboard to make city life better in the 21st century", keynote speech in the 15th World Conference of Associated research Centers for the Urban Underground Space: "Underground Urbanization as a Prerequisite for Sustainable Development", September 12-15, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Kaliampakos, D., Benardos, A., Mavrikos, A. (2016). “A review on the economics of underground space utilization”, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (Special Issue), Vol. 55, pp. 236–244.
- Papada, L. and Kaliampakos, D. (2016). "Measuring energy poverty in Greece", Energy Policy, Vol. 94, pp. 157-165.
- Environment II (Environmental Protection in Mining & Metallurgy)
- Solid Waste Treatment, Materials Recycling
- Environmental Mining and Quarry Engineering (Selected Topics)
- Marbles and Industrial Minerals
- Mining Economics
- Environment and Developement (interdisciplinary)
- Underground works
- Modern needs and underground space development, "Design & Construction of Underground Works" MSc NTUA
- Health, safety and risk management for the construction and operation of underground works, "Design & Construction of Underground Works" MSc NTUA
- Environmental Economics, "Environment and Development" MSc NTUA
- Economics of the Environment and of Water Resources, "Water Resources Science and Technology" MSc NTUA
- Introduction to the Environment and Society of Mountainous Regions, "Environment and Development of Mountain Regions" MSc NTUA
- Environmental Economics: Development of Mountainous Areas, "Environment and Development of Mountain Regions" MSc NTUA