Scientific Field: Geotechnical Engineering in mining and infrastructure
School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9 str., GR15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Office 2.39, 2nd floor
+30 210 7722194
Dr. Ioannis Zevgolis is an Assistant Professor (scientific field: “Geotechnical Engineering in mining and infrastructure”) at the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering (Section of Mining Engineering, Laboratory of Tunneling Engineering) of the National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.).
He holds a Diploma in Mining and Metallurgical Engineering (equiv. to MEng) from N.T.U.A. (2002), and an MSc (2003) and a PhD (2007) degree in geotechnical engineering from Purdue University (USA). During his studies at Purdue, he was for five years a research and teaching assistant at the School of Civil Engineering (2002-07).
During the period 2008-13, he worked in the industry as a geotechnical engineer and as a mining engineer. In 2013-14, he worked as a researcher at the Centre for Research & Technology Hellas (CERTH). From 2014 to 2019, he served as a (tenured) Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering of the Democritus University of Thrace (Laboratory of Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering, Section of Geotechnical Engineering). He has also served as an Adjunct Lecturer at the School of Mineral Resources Engineering of the Technical University of Crete (2010, 2011).
His research interests lie in the fields of mining geotechnics, probabilistic and stochastic geotechnics, and numerical modeling in geotechnics. He has participated on more than 15 European and national (Greek) research projects, as well as on research projects in the USA, and he has published more than 45 papers in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings. He has been a reviewer on many scientific journals and an evaluator or external expert on behalf of Greek and European institutions (IKY, ELIDEK, EIT Raw Materials). He was or currently is a member of many international scientific and professional associations (ISSMGE, IGS, ASCE, SME, HSSMGE, and others). He is a member of the Technical Committee TC304 - Engineering Practice of Risk Assessment and Management of the ISSMGE.
- Zevgolis, I.E., Bourdeau, P.L. (2017). Reliability and Redundancy of the Internal Stability of Reinforced Soil Walls, Computers and Geotechnics, 84: 152-163.
- Gaidajis, G., Anagnostopoulos, A., Garidi, A., Mylona, E., Zevgolis, I.E. (2017). Laboratory Evaluation of Phosphogypsum for Potential Alternative Uses, Environmental Geotechnics, 5(6):310-323.
- Zevgolis, I.E., Daffas, Z.A. (2018). System Reliability Assessment of Soil Nail Walls, Computers and Geotechnics, 98:232-242.
- Zevgolis, I.E. (2018). A Finite Element Investigation on Displacements of Reinforced Soil Walls Under the Effect of Typical Traffic Load, Transportation Infrastructure Geotechnology, Springer, 5(3): 231-249.
- Zevgolis, I.E., Deliveris, A.V., Koukouzas, N.C. (2018). Probabilistic design optimization and simplified geotechnical risk analysis for large open pit excavations, Computers and Geotechnics, 103: 153-164.
- Zevgolis, I.E. (2018). Geotechnical characterization of mining rock waste dumps in central Evia, Greece, Environmental Earth Sciences, 77(16): 566.
- Zevgolis, I.E., Deliveris, A.V., Koukouzas, N.C. (2019). Slope failure incidents and other stability concerns in surface lignite mines in Greece, Journal of Sustainable Mining, 18(4): 182-197.
- Masoudian, M.S., Zevgolis, I.E., Deliveris, A.V., Marshall, A.M., Heron, C.M., Koukouzas, N.C. (2019). Stability and characterisation of spoil heaps in European surface lignite mines: a state-of-the-art review in light of new data, Environmental Earth Sciences, 78(16):505.
- Deliveris, A.V., Zevgolis, I.E., Koukouzas, N.C. (2020). Probabilistic evaluation of local overstress on slope stability problems. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, doi 10.1007/s10706-020-01199-4.
- Soil Mechanics & Principles of Foundation Engineering (8th semester)
- Rock Mechanics (8th semester)
- Underground Excavations Support (8th semester)
- Special Topics in Geotechnical Engineering (9th semester)
- Geotechnical and Geophysical Investigations (A' semester), MSc Design and Construction of Underground Works