Scientific Field: Risk assessment of contaminated industrial areas and restoration methods
School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9 str., GR 15780 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Office 2.7, 2nd floor
+30 210 772-2181
Dr Georgios Bartzas is Metallurgical Engineer, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) graduate (2001), holding a PhD degree on Environmental Engineering in the field of waste management (2007). He also holds a MBA degree from the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (NTUA). At present, he is Laboratory Teaching staff at the School of the Mining and Metallurgical Engineering (SMME-NTUA) and Collaborating Teaching Staff of the MSc degree “Waste management” of the Greek Open University.
He has experience in the fields of Waste management, Environmental Metallurgy, Environmental monitoring and Risk assessment, Life cycle analysis, Soil and Groundwater decontamination, Geochemical/ Thermodynamic modelling and Environmental economics. Dr. Georgios Bartzas has participated in more than 15 research projects (funded by the EC and national sources). To date, he has authored/co-authored more than 80 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, with over 750 citations and an H-index of 14 (Scopus). He was awarded the prize for the best PhD Thesis (Sarafi award) at SMME-NTUA for the years 2007-2008 and prizes from the Thomaidio Bequest (3 times).
Currently, he is Section Editor for “Environmental Sciences” in Data in Brief (Elsevier) as well as member of the Editorial Boards of Science of the Total Environment (Elsevier), Heliyon (Cell press) and AIMS Environmental Science (AIMS) and serves as a regular reviewer of papers for several peer-reviewed journals. He has been guest editor of a special issue on climate change at the Science of the Total Environment Journal and Co-guest editor of two special issues in the open-access Journals of Sustainability (MDPI) and Minerals (MDPI).
- Papamarkou, S., Christopoulos, D., Tsakiridis, P.E., Bartzas, G., Tsakalakis, K. (2018). Vitrified medical wastes bottom ash in cement clinkerization. Microstructural, hydration and leaching characteristics. Science of the Total Environment 635: 705–715.
- Tsakalou C., Papamarkou S., Tsakiridis P.E., Bartzas G., Tsakalakis K. (2018). Characterization and leachability evaluation of medical wastes incineration fly and bottom ashes and their vitrification outgrowths. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, (6)1: 367–376
- Bartzas, G.and K. Komnitsas (2017). Life cycle assessment of pistachio production in Greece. Science of the Total Environment 595: 13–24.
- Bartzas, G.,Zaharaki, D., Doula, D. and Komnitsas, K. (2017). Evaluation of groundwater vulnerability in a Greek island using GIS-based models. Desalination and Water Treatment 67: 61–73.
- Bartzas, G.,Vamvuka, D. and Komnitsas, K. (2017). Comparative life cycle assessment of pistachio, almond and apple production. Information Processing in Agriculture; in press, corrected proof.
- Komnitsas, K., Zaharaki, D., Bartzas, G.,Kaliakatsou, G. and Kritikaki ,Α. (2016). Efficiency of pecan shells and sawdust biochar on Pb and Cu adsorption. Desalination and Water Treatment 57(7): 3237–3246.
- Komnitsas, K., Bazdanis, G. and Bartzas, (2016). Efficiency of composite permeable reactive barriers for the removal of Cr(VI) from leachates. Desalination and Water Treatment 57(19): 8990–9000.
- Bartzas, G.and K. Komnitsas (2015). Life cycle assessment of ferronickel production in Greece. Resources Conservation and Recycling 105: 113–122.
- Pantazopoulou, E., Zebiliadou, O., Bartzas, G.,Xenidis, A., Zouboulis, A. and Komnitsas, K. (2015). Industrial solid waste management in Greece: The current situation and prospects for valorization. Journal of Solid Waste Technology & Management 41(4): 383–394.
- Bartzas G.,Zaharaki D. and K. Komnitsas (2015). Life cycle assessment of open field and greenhouse cultivation of lettuce and barley. Information Processing in Agriculture 2 (3-4): 191–207.
- Bartzas G.,Zaharaki, D., Hernández-Fernández, M.T., Moreno J.L. and K. Komnitsas (2015). Assessment of aquifer vulnerability in an agricultural area in Spain using the DRASTIC model. Environmental Forensics 16(4): 356–373.
- Bartzas, G.,Tinivella, F., Medini, L., Zaharaki, D. and Komnitsas, K. (2015). Assessment of groundwater contamination risk in an agricultural area in north Italy. Information Processing in Agriculture 2(2): 109–129.
- Komnitsas, K., Zaharaki, D., Piliotis, I., Vamvuka, D., Bartzas, G., (2015). Assessment of pistachio shell biochar quality and its potential for adsorption of heavy metals. Waste and Biomass Valorization 6(5): 805–816.
- Komnitsas, K., Bazdanis, G., Bartzas, G., Sahinkaya, E., and Zaharaki, D., (2013). Removal of heavy metals from leachates using organic/inorganic permeable reactive barriers. Desalination and Water Treatment 51(13-15): 3052–3059.
- Komnitsas, K., Zaharaki, D., Vlachou, A., Bartzas, G., Galetakis, M. (2015). Effect of synthesis parameters on the quality of construction and demolition wastes (CDW) geopolymers. Advance Powder Technology 26(2): 368–376.