Scientific Field: Geotechnology with Emphasis in Rock Mechanics
School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9 str., GR15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Office 1.44, 1st floor
+30 210 772-1662
Dr. Pavlos Nomikos is an Associate Professor at the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) and the Director of the Tunnelling Laboratory of NTUA. He holds a Diploma in Mining Engineering, a Diploma in Civil Engineering and a Ph.D. in Rock Mechanics and Geomechanics on the stability of large underground openings in blocky rock.
He specializes in analytical and numerical methods of rock mechanics and rock engineering, and in laboratory testing and mechanical behavior of rocks and rock support materials (e.g. fiber reinforced shotcrete). His current research interests are focused on the application of rock mechanics and rock engineering in geotechnical practice, on the stability of underground openings and the design of pertinent rock support, on laboratory testing (including innovative measuring techniques) and micromechanical modeling (bonded particles models) of rock and rock-like materials, etc.
He has published more than 60 papers in scientific journals and international conferences and he is a reviewer in the most respectable scientific journals of his specialization area.
- Nomikos PP, Sofianos AI, Tsoutrelis CE (2002) Symmetric wedge in the roof of a tunnel excavated in an inclined stress field. Int Jnl Rock Mech Min Sci, 39(1), 59-67. doi:10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00013-8
- Nomikos PP, Sofianos AI, Tsoutrelis CE (2002) Structural response of vertically multi-jointed roof rock beams. Int Jnl Rock Mech Min Sci, 39(1), 79-94. doi:10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00019-9
- Sofianos AI, Nomikos PP (2006) Equivalent Mohr-Coulomb and generalized Hoek-Brown strength parameters for supported axisymmetric tunnels in plastic or brittle rock. Int Jnl Rock Mech Min Sci, 43 (5), 683-704. doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.11.006
- Nomikos PP, Sofianos AI (2011) An analytical probability distribution for the factor of safety in underground rock mechanics. Int Jnl Rock Mech Min Sci, 48(4), 597–605. doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.02.015
- Nomikos PP, Rahmnannejad R, Sofianos AI (2011) Supported axisymmetric tunnels within linear viscoelastic Burgers rocks. Rock Mech Rock Engng, 44(5), 553-564, doi: 10.1007/s00603-011-0159-0.
- Sakkas K, Nomikos P, Sofianos A, Panias D (2014). Potassium based geopolymer for passive fire protection of concrete tunnels linings. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 43, 148-156, doi:10.1016/j.tust.2014.05.003.
- Choumanidis D, Badogiannis E, Nomikos P, Sofianos A (2017). Barcelona test for the evaluation of the mechanical properties of single and hybrid FRC, exposed to elevated temperature. Construction and Building Materials (138): 296–305.
- Kaklis KN, Agioutantis, ZG, Mavrigiannakis SP, Nomikos PP (2018). A multi-stage triaxial test for cemented paste backfill. 52nd U.S. Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium .
- Sakkas K, Vagiokas N, Tsiamouras K, Mandalozis D, Benardos A, Nomikos P (2019) In-situ fire test to assess tunnel lining fire resistance. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 85, pp. 368-374.
- Lotidis MA, Nomikos PP, Sofianos AI (2019) Laboratory study of the fracturing process in marble and plaster hollow plates subjected to uniaxial compression by combined acoustic emission and digital image correlation techniques. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-019-02025-x
- Lotidis MA, Nomikos PP, Sofianos AI (2019) Numerical Study of the Fracturing Process in Marble and Plaster Hollow Plate Specimens Subjected to Uniaxial Compression. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 52(11), pp. 4361–4386. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-019-01884-8
- Nomikos P, Kaklis K, Agioutantis Z, Mavrigiannakis S, 2020. Experimental characterization and numerical modeling of the fracture process in banded Alfas porous stone. Mat Design Process Comm., 1–15.
- Reinforced Concrete - Steel Structures, 7th semester
- Rock Mechanics, 8th semester
- Support of Underground Excavation, 8th semester
- Tunnel Engineering, 9th semester
- Advanced Rock Mechanics, 2nd sem. "Design & Construction of Underground Works" NTUA
- Geotechnical Instrumentation and Support of Underground Works, 2nd sem. "Design & Construction of Underground Works" NTUA