Scientific Field: Underground Works
School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9 str., GR15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Office 2.45, 2nd floor
+30 210 772-2182
Dr. Andreas Benardos is an Associate Professor at the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). He is currently the Director of the Interdisciplinary Postgraduate studies program of “Design and Construction of Underground Works”, which is jointly co-organised by the School of Mining & Metallurgical Eng., the School of Civil Eng. and the School of Rural & Surveying Eng. of NTUA.
He holds a Diploma in Mining Engineering and a Ph.D. in risk assessment for underground construction projects from NTUA. His research interests are focused on the topics of underground space development and mine design, risk assessment in underground construction, ventilation, project cost estimation and management as well as on applications of artificial neural networks in geo-engineering. He has participated in more than 25 research projects awarded by European, National bodies and private firms and has published more than 60 papers in scientific journals and international conferences.
He has worked as external consultant / technical advisor in various mining, construction and consultaning companies (ICAP GROUP S.A., LTCP, Neorion Shipyards, S.A., TERNA S.A., S&B Industrial Minerals, GMM LARCO S.A., ECHMES Ltd, etc.). Furthermore, he is reviewer in more than 15 scientific journals and has worked as an expert evaluator for the Greek General Secretariat for Research and Technology – GRST, the South African National Research Foundation (NRF) and the European Commission – EC.
His full cv can be found here
- Tzalamarias, M., Tzalamarias. I., Benardos, A., Marinos, V., (2018). Room and Pillar Design and Construction for Underground Coal Mining in Greece, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, pp. 1-14.
- Kallianiotis, A., Papakonstantinou, D., Arvelaki, V., Benardos, A., (2018). Evaluation of evacuation methods in underground metro stations, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 31, pp. 526–534.
- Deliveris, A.V., Benardos, A., (2017). Evaluating performance of lignite pillars with 2D approximation techniques and 3D numerical analyses, International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 27 (6), pp. 929-936.
- Kaliampakos, D., Benardos, A., Mavrikos, A., (2016). A review on the economics of underground space utilization, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 55, pp. 236-244.
- Benardos, A., Athanasiadis, J., Katsoulakos, N., (2014). Modern Earth Sheltered Constructions: A paradigm of green engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 41 (1), pp. 46-52.
- Paraskevopoulou C., Benardos, A., (2013). Assessing the construction cost of Greek transportation tunnel projects, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 38, pp. 497-505.
- Benardos, Α.G., Kaliampakos, D.C., (2004). Modelling TBM performance with artificial neural networks, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 597-605.
- Benardos, Α.G., Kaliampakos, D.C., (2004). A methodology for assessing geotechnical hazards for TBM tunnelling - illustrated by the Athens Metro, Greece, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 987-999.
- Mining Exploitation Ι, 5th semester
- Underground Works, 9th semester
- Design of Underground Mining Exploitations, 9th semester
- Tunnel Engineering, 9th semester
- Modern needs and underground space development, "Design & Construction of Underground Works" MSc NTUA
- Electromechanical equipment for underground works, "Design & Construction of Underground Works" MSc NTUA
- Health, safety and risk management for the construction and operation of underground works, "Design & Construction of Underground Works" MSc NTUA
- Health, safety and risk management, "Hydrocarbons Exploration and Exploitation" MSc AUTH